1) Assuming you go along with the idea that aliens had a hand in our history, and have been visiting us for a while now, you should stop worrying about an invasion. If they wanted to do that, and truly possessed advanced technology, they would have done it long ago before we had the tech and defenses we have now.
2) Due to the sheer number of alleged UFO sightings, if the UFO’s are NOT based on Earth, they are most likely based on the closest, and most safe point from human detection: Somewhere on the far side of our Moon.
3) Reports on alleged sightings of aliens have been similar over the years. Large eyes, big heads, grey skin. Maybe this is what they really look like. What makes humans believe they are the only intelligent lifeform in existence? Carl Sagan once called that attitude selfish, and told people to look UP once in a while.
4) If aliens do exist in this form, and they are observing us, their most likely reaction would be one of concern. If they are truly advanced, they would know already we are poisoning our atmosphere, polluting our own ground water, and growing at the rate of a billion people every fourteen years or so. It took from the Stone Age to the year 1800 to reach our first billion. Maybe they are worried about us. Our thousands of available nukes and constant warfare might also be a concern.
5) Aliens, if they exist and are observing us, might not only feel sorry for us, but think we are stupid for doing things we do as a species that could lead to our own destruction.
6) It is possible that life forms from another world might consider the dolphin as the most advanced species, and mankind as a selfish form of life that is only destroying the planet.
7) It is possible that Gene Roddenberry was right all along, and a Prime Directive forbidding interference in other worlds’ affairs actually exists.
6) Sharks existed 440 million years ago, at the start of the Mesozoic Era, or about 200 million years BEFORE dinosaurs. Mankind is a much more recent development who not only managed to gain complete control of the planet, but now threatens to destroy it by one means or another. We could very well be nothing more than a failed DNA experiment.
7) The history of mankind shows a species that prides itself on bigger, better, and smarter, mostly on killing, exploiting, and trying to find out why we do those things. The better part of our species demonstrates great art, architecture, achievements, and intelligence. Who wins out will decide our future.
8) Some governments know more about this whole scenario than you do, but they do their best to keep it secret in order to prevent panic and preserve the status quo.
9) The division of wealth across the globe has changed, and the rich will always support the preservation of the status quo. That view is based on either selfishness, or fear. Just being rich doesn't mean you know everything.
10) The truth is out there, and the only way it will be discovered, and humankind shown a bettter path, is when enough people demand that governments come clean. Otherwise, we may cease to exist due to a lack of fresh water, constant warring, famine, stripping our resources, polluting our environment, and an unchecked rate of human growth. Welcome to the Reality Hotel. Top floor, penthouse suite.
(List submitted by Robert M. Blevins, author of the sci-fi books Say Goodbye To The Sun, The 13th Day of Christmas, The Corona Incident, and other works.)